The Press Club of India, the Indian Women Press Corps, and the Delhi Union of Journalists on Friday (March 7, 2025) condemned the arrest of journalist Sudhanshu Thapliyal in Kotdwar, Uttarakhand.
They have demanded concrete measures to ensure the safety and protection of journalists in Uttarakhand, including withdrawal of the “false cases” registered against Mr. Thapliyal.
“We are deeply concerned that dozens of journalists across the State are being threatened for speaking and writing the truth. Even the fundamental right to freedom of expression, as enshrined in the Constitution, is being curtailed on social media platforms,” they said in a joint statement.
They said, “The actions of the State government, administration, and police force, constitute a direct assault on fundamental rights and press freedom. The Uttarakhand Journalists’ Union has expressed deep solidarity with Sudhanshu Thapliyal, alongside journalists across the State.”
“The aggrieved journalist stated that he was arrested merely for a four-line post on January 29, in which he stated that 13 days had passed since a young woman lost her life in a road accident, yet the accused had not been arrested. Shockingly, the police deemed this simple question an act of defamation. Even more disturbingly, before taking him into custody, the police seized his mobile phone, denied him any contact with a lawyer or acquaintances, and unlawfully detained him in lockup overnight,” the statement said.
Stating that journalists in the State had already submitted a memorandum to the Director General of Police (DGP), seeking an impartial investigation and strict action against all the police officers involved, they said the DGP has assured the journalists of a high-level investigation within a week.
“Meanwhile, the Uttarakhand High Court has taken cognisance of the matter and sought a response from the State government,” they said, demanding a fair investigation.